“What is Malbec wine?”
One of the top wines red wines in the present-day American market, Malbec wine is made with grape variety of the same name. The noir (Black) grape is known for its deep, inky colour, strong tannins and a flavour reminiscent to plums. The berries are thin-skinned, and require more sun than other popular varieties, such as Cabernet Sauvignon, or, say Merlot. The wine is made in Argentina, France, and Australia, of course!
Characteristics Of Malbec Wine
1. The full-bodied, dry wine exudes very different, almost contrary characteristics, from the same wine coming from another part of the world. The Argentine version is rich with fruity blackberries, plums and black cherries. French Malbec, on the other hand, is leathery, and the palate reflects black pepper and spice characters, owing to high acidity. The Australian drink depicts fruitiness of Argentine Malbec, complemented by crushed violets, violet crumble and mocha!
2. Regardless of the area, the natural acidity is medium.
3. The tannins are chewy and neatly-framed.
4. All the characters come together to provide a lengthy finish, though described shorter than Cabernet Sauvignon.
5. Interestingly, comparisons are drawn between Malbec and Merlot, with both wines possessing several of the same characteristics, and being easy-to-drink.
“Where do Malbec grapes grow in Australia?”
Fruit for some of the finest Malbec wines in Australia is sourced from vibrant vineyards in McLaren Vale, Langhorne Creek and Limestone Coast. In fact, Langhorne Creek is the top Malbec producing area in the country.
“What is the ideal food pairing for a Malbec wine from Australia?”
The aroma and flavour profiles of Australian Malbecs pair nicely with barbecues, particularly beef and lamb with smoky rub. If you are in mood for some curry, a medium-spice one, such as lamb balti is going to be a perfect partner to the drink!
“What are some Australian Malbec wines?”
Experts on Dan Murphy’s wine panel highly rate Mitolo The Nessus Malbec, Bleasdale Second Innings Malbec, McGuigan The Founders Malbec and McGuigan The Plan Malbec. These are probably the most delicious Malbec wines of Australia.
Informative presentation on Malbec Wines of Australia: